Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 7263
Founding and First Location
On May 15, 1946, in the town of Capitola by the Sea, VFW Post 7263 was founded by a group of World War II veterans. Unfortunately, the Capitola address of the original Post 7263 location is not known today. We would welcome any help in finding the address and details of the Post at that original location.
Current Location and Building
VFW Post 7263 purchased a building that was moved from Garfield Street after the disastrous flood of 1955. The building was moved to the property at 2259 7th Avenue, Santa Cruz, which is the current location of Post 7363. Though the exact date of the move from Capitola to Santa Cruz is unknown, Post 7263 is thought to have been set up and meeting at their current Santa Cruz location by 1956. Additions have been made to the original building to expand the hall, accommodate a commercial kitchen, restrooms, canteen (bar), walk-in cooler and an office. The property also has a picnic area and a large, covered barbecue facility.
Post 7263 has gone through many changes over the years, including adding the name "Tres Pueblos", to reflect merging two other local VFW Posts into Capitola Post 7263. Our Post has been serving members and their families, veterans, and making a difference in our community for more than three quarters of a century. We are still going strong, and now we are looking forward to the next quarter century!